Re: Tuba reccomendations?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 23, 2004 at 11:42:56:

In Reply to: Tuba reccomendations? posted by Seeker on January 22, 2004 at 17:59:59:

As for me, I want a tuba with a bright, tinny sound that is 25 cents flat in the upper register and 30 cents sharp in the lower register. I keep looking but none of my tubas satisfy these requirements.

Okay, sorry for the sarcasm. But it is true that just about everyone wants what you seek. Every manufacturer brags about their products on just these characteristics. The only thing in your list that I key on is that "dark" sound, and I have to ask what you mean by that. Many folks think it means lots of fundamental and not too many upper harmonics, but in fact that is precisely what makes a sound woofy and weak. A strong tuba sound has a broad, well-tuned range of harmonics, including a good sampling of harmonics well above the fundamental. The particular balance and tuning of those harmonics is what gives each instrument its own personality. But a big part in achieving a good range of well-tuned harmonics is putting a pure signal into the mouthpiece--any bad player can make a great instrument sound bad (as I've proven time and again). When all those harmonics line up--that's when you get the magic sound.

So, if you have the signal, then you have to find the instrument that matches that signal to provide an optimized result. If you don't have the signal yet, then buy a tuba that is competent enough so that when you achieve that signal, you'll know it. There are many tubas that meet that criteria. If you have lots of air and want an instrument that you'll never be able to blame for your own deficiencies, look into a Miraphone 1291. It will have the bottom register that a smaller tuba like the King 2341 won't. But the King will work better in the smaller ensembles, and it's likely more agile. Either make a great all-round instrument, with the King centered on slightly smaller ensembles and the Miraphone centered on larger ensembles. Both have great intonation, both have excellent scale, and both will amplify your signal efficiently. If I wanted a rotary tuba and money was no object, the Miraphone 191 and any of the Rudolf Meinls would also be on my list.

I own and have played many older instruments, and I can honestly say that with few very rare exceptions, the new instruments currently available are the best ever made. If you get a good old Holton, it will do things that the two choices above might not, or at least do them more easily, but these things are most useful with the largest ensembles. A Gronitz PBK, which I'd never played, might be a great choice for a new tuba in that category. The York Master has endearing qualities, but I'm not sure it would be better than the 1291 in any category save low-register efficiency. A B&M Symphonic BBb (similar to the York Master, but with a faster-tapered one-piece) might contend for the instrument you seek, by they are rare as hen's teeth. A Miraphone 186 is a great all-round tuba that is as good in many categories as any instrument, but the new ones are at least as good as the old ones if not better. Perhaps an old Alexander would fill the bill, but they are even more rare than the B&M's, in BBb at least, and they might not meet your requirements for easy intonation.

Rick "who thinks BBb players have great choices on the market right now" Denney

Follow Ups: