Re: Body size to horn size ratio

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon Meyer on January 23, 2004 at 10:30:27:

In Reply to: Body size to horn size ratio posted by David L. Allen on January 22, 2004 at 14:34:17:

CONGRATS!

I, too, have lost a lot of weight in the past 2 years. I used to weigh 365 and now am down to 270. I am using WeightWatchers and could not be happier.

For those who want to do gastric bypass, more power to you. I personally was a little put-off by the complications that happen so often. Although it has been SUPER hard to do this without surgery, I am very happy with how I have progressed.

My playing has improved very much. My support, breathing, posture, mouthpiece angle, eveything became much easier.

As far as the actual body size to horn ratio, I think that tall players should DEFINATELY think hard about what tuba that you buy, because of valve placement. I have posted here that I had a G50 that I loved, but the valve angle is very drastic. Since I am so tall, and my arms so long, the angle that I had to contort my wrist brought on carpal tunnel syndrome.

I have since traded in my F and CC for an Eb and a killer Euph and could not be happier. Since I do not do much orchestral work and play primarily in quintets and bands, the large Meinl-Weston 2141 Eb has been great. It also works very well for taller players becasue of its wrap and valve angle.

For those who had asked me, the G50S that I traded in is at Dave Fedderly's Baltimore Brass Company. He has a pic up on his site already. It is a GREAT playing and looking horn. I miss it dearly, but it was physically painful to play, even with a tuba rest. It is great for any player under 6' though! Great big open tone and very versatile.

Good luck on your continued weight loss,

JON MEYER

Follow Ups: