Re: Cerveny & Kalison reputation in USA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on January 20, 2004 at 09:02:03:

In Reply to: Cerveny & Kalison reputation in USA posted by Michelangelo on January 19, 2004 at 14:29:59:

Kalison tubas seem to have a mediocre reputation here in the US, which is unfortunate. A properly serviced and shop-adjusted Kalison is a fine instrument. My main quality concern was with the lacquered brass DS models that had nickel-plated slides. If not very well cared-for, the nickel will wear and peel, making the slides an absolute mess, where they will not operate as well as they could otherwise, and can cause leakage. Still, I believe that one of my customers took a lacquered DS model CC and won the Falcone Competetion with it. The wrap, where the leadpipe goes into the 4th valve 1st, should not really negatively affect anything.
Cerveny practically invented the modern rotary valve tuba in the 19th century, and makes some wonderful instruments today. Their instruments are lightweight and not designed to take abuse. If you want a tank that you can drop off a building and will still play, buy a Conn 20K sousaphone. Cerveny's lightweight instruments, combined with some manufacturing inconsistencies from time to time, and their low price in the US due to economic situations, has led most to believe that they are cheap horns. I have played some extremely exquisite Cerveny tubas, and think they deserve better respect than they presently receive here.
Of course, I think it is more important how one plays, than what one plays - my $0.02.
Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: