Re: Re: Cerveny & Kalison reputation in USA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ace on January 19, 2004 at 21:28:47:

In Reply to: Re: Cerveny & Kalison reputation in USA posted by Darrell Pugh on January 19, 2004 at 16:06:44:

I have owned three Cerveny instruments----a huge 601-5M CC tuba; a four rotary valve bass trombone in F; and a C/Bb four rotary valve upright euphonium. (Tony Clements has test-played this latter instrument and seemed to like it. He really made it sing.) I felt the craftmanship of these horns is respectable although the big 601 had thin brass easily dentable. (The 601 tuba is so darn big it would prbably weigh over 40 pounds if they used regular gauge brass. Besides, I've always felt that Cerveny uses the thin brass because it produces a uniquely Cerveny sound---dark, pillowy, and resonant at all volume levels.) Admittedly, all my Cerveny horns were purchased from 1995 to 1999, so they fairly represent only what's current production out of that factory. I have no experience with older Cerveny horns. Insofar as price, craftmanship, and performance are concerned, I feel Cerveny rotary valve brass instruments are competitive and well worth considering.

Follow Ups: