Re: Re: I did it!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jacob on January 18, 2004 at 20:01:02:

In Reply to: Re: I did it!!! posted by Which State?? on January 18, 2004 at 19:47:20:

I've never been to state before.. but heres how I know it works..in arkansas

There are 9 regions..

Everyone is given a list of tryout music. This years list for tuba was..

Getchell book #2, exercies 100 and 11
and
Woodruff, #2,14, and 18

Along with all minor/major scales and a chromatic F-F scale
Out of those 5 pieces, they can pick any part of to have you play on the given day. Each region has its own location in which the schools from that region show up and each instrument goes to a room and gets a number for their tryout.

at a set time music and scales are posted, tryouts start 30 minutes later with 1 going in sequential order skipping no shows. They pick usually 3 parts of the 5 pieces, and 2-3 scales... usually 2 one octave scales and 1 2 octave scale..

When its your turn you give your card go in the room, the judges are behind a curtain and cannot see you, you are not alloewd to talk. You then play in any order your scales and prepared pieces. you are then given a sight reading piece(not from your 5 pieces) and are given 30 seconds to look over and then must play.

Most of the times you have 3 judges, sometimes 3.. each judge judges you on everything, and your points from each are counted up.. heres a run down of how much everyhting is worth..

songs = 15(each)
musical expression = 10(overall)
tone = 15(overall)
scales = 4(each)
sight reading = 20

your scores are tallied up and the highest is 1st band 1st.. and so on. two bands are formed from this.. the rest dont' make it..

on tuba (varies from each instrument).. The top 6 are invited to tryout for all state which is febuary 7th.. I do know they pickf rom the same music since every region in the state picks from the same 5 pieces... I assume the tryouts similiar to that of regions..

every instrument does this.. and has there own pieces of music that they must play from and scales..

I hope that clears things up a bit.. if u have anymore questions just ask...

Follow Ups: