Re: Re: Re: Which Tuba to buy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by suggestion guy on January 18, 2004 at 06:18:34:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Which Tuba to buy? posted by Greg on January 17, 2004 at 19:14:04:

When I said "blown out" I meant it to be the opposite of "blown in". The Cervany is the only instrument I've ever owned that got worse over the few years that I owned it. Basically, the sound of the thing got brighter and raspier over time. This is something horn players and some trombone players talk about a lot, but tuba players don't seem to encounter it much. (By the way, I also thought it was crap the first time I heard someone saying this.)

I never used to believe in the concept of a brass instrument's playing qualities changing over time, but I am now a strong believer in it. This includes not only instruments that I know well, but also other tubas and trombones that I've tried out from time to time.

Generally, they seem to get better. Obviously, most of this is down to a player learning the particulars of that instrument, but I also feel that filling the inside with a bit of goo and then subjecting it to years of variable frequency vibration has to affect it as well.

As for the selling price of my Cervany, I sold it for what the market would bear, of course. Also, I didn't sell it based on one sticky valve in one recital. I kept it for over three years as my only tuba, struggling to make it work, but never managed it. I hope the person that bought it liked it; it might have been just what they were looking for.

Follow Ups: