Re: Wrist Pain

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DavidK on January 14, 2004 at 13:44:15:

In Reply to: Wrist Pain posted by Joey on January 13, 2004 at 00:16:22:

Lots of good advice in all of the replies. My personal recommendation is Non-surgical solutions first!

Prevention is the name of the game.
1. Before picking up your instrument... Stretch and warm up your limbs and joints while you do your breathing exercises and torso stretching before playing.
2. Reduce the length of individual playing sessions.
3. Keep your limbs and joints warmed up during each session. Take breaks and loosen up periodically.
4. If needed. Go to your local drug store or sporting goods store and get a wrist brace for the effected limb. (Not a rollerblading wrist guard -- to bulky) Warm up, put on the brace to support your wrist joint and maintain a comfortable hand position. Hopefully you can form the brace to provide a workable position. (Some braces have an aluminum insert that can be bent to fit) You might need to put a thin pad between the brace and the instrument, to protect the instrument's finish.

Several years ago, I "fried" both wrists while doing lots of computer work on the job and more at home(bad ergonomics). Using the drug store wrist braces consistently, until my wrists healed, saved me from surgery. (Cheap, too!! Only about 20-30 dollars for two braces)Wore them at work and at home.

Good luck,
David

Follow Ups: