Re: Wrist Pain

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon Meyer on January 13, 2004 at 08:17:22:

In Reply to: Wrist Pain posted by Joey on January 13, 2004 at 00:16:22:

People who know me know that I had to greatly reduce my playing for about a year to get my CTS under control. I too had to then hold my tuba in a different way, ulimately leading me to search some new horns and getting rid of my G50. Your hand should be a continuation of your arm with no bending up/down, side-to-side, or forwards and backwards. What did help me to play easier was a DEG tuba rest. Dave Fedderly at Baltimore Brass Company (see link below) has them at $62.00 right now. (Even if you don't need the rest, which I don't anymore, get the case that stores in your bell for some extra storage.)

Also, make sure that you stretch your wrists and fingers well before you play. It will go a long way in reducing hand fatigue that ends up resulting in you putting to much of the weight of your horn on your wrists.

Above all, SEE A HAND SURGEON! They may find that you are a candidate for surgery or just wearing splints or supports. I find that if I wear one when I play, it keeps my hands in the correct position. You can get those at Walgreens.

Goo Luck!

Follow Ups: