Re: Miraphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doc on January 09, 2004 at 17:50:10:

In Reply to: Miraphone posted by TubaNerd on January 09, 2004 at 17:06:56:

Well Nerd, I'm not sure why people might "hate on" Miraphones. Miraphone makes some great instruments, and they are very consistent (horn to horn), when compared to some other makes. If I just had to buy a tuba without trying it first, I would have less reservations about Miraphone than any other make.

For some situations, however, Miraphone may not be the best choice, or an option at all. I know that 186's were used in symphony orchestras in the past (ex:Bill Rose - Houston), but most modern players use BAT's for most orhestral literature. Miraphone doesn't make a BAT that one might associate with symphony playing. An F (a few players use Eb or small CC) is commonly used for lighter orchestral rep and solo work. Miraphone F tubas have, IMHO, sucked until the 181 came out. The 181 is a contender, for sure. Miraphones are not commonly seen in brass bands either, unless it is a blasmusikorchester, and one sees lots of Meinl Westons and Rudy Meinls there. In addition, some horns work better for some players than others. I've always thought that Miraphone has not targeted any specific niche market, but instead, made a horn for the masses. I would think that's where the money is anyway.

I'll be interested to see the new 1291CC stacked up against some BAT's, although it doesn't appear to be in the same class. My guess is that it won't become a hot item among professional orchestral tubists, but will catch on great with the masses. I'm not a Miraphone nut. I've owned a 186CC and a 188CC. They were good horns, but I probably wouldn't get either again, however, I can't wait to try a 1291.

Miraphone makes quality instruments that are well built, make a good, solid sound, are relatively easy for anyone to play, and are relatively easy to pay for. Those facts are tough to dispute. I'm guessing most of this board would generally agree, even the ones who don't personally like Miraphones.
Doc

Follow Ups: