Re: Miraphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on January 09, 2004 at 17:23:40:

In Reply to: Miraphone posted by TubaNerd on January 09, 2004 at 17:06:56:

The answer is quite simple. Not everyone "hate on" Miraphones. In fact, I believe only a few people think ill of them. Personally, I happen to not only like them, but I own one. They are not the end all/do all tuba of all time. I'm not sure there is such an instrument. The tuba world has become quite specialized. I know this sounds absurd, but I believe it is true. If I were attempting to make it as a tuba player in a major orchestra, I would probably not be playing my 186-5Valve Miraphone. However, as an overall instrument, and one capable of playing in a wide range of styles and mediums, I believe it is an excellent choice. Are there better instruments for certain mediums? Of course.

In short, we all attempt to find and acquire the instrument or instruments which we find best meet our needs. Among criteria to be filled is our comfort level with the instrument. Does it fit us physically and otherwise. When we have that match, we have our choice.

Lastly, I believe you would find a general agreement that Miraphones a good instruments. You will get a great deal of disagreement as to which brand or model is best. Look for the one you feel is best.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: