Older Beginner

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Howard Ashley on January 05, 2004 at 14:09:50:

I have been lurking here for a couple of months, ever since I decided once and for all that I truly want to get good on a brass instrument. I am almost 45 years old and have played pipe organ professionally for 20 years. I also played violin all through middle and high school. I have always loved the sound of brass instruments but never wanted to play one because it seemed like pretty much a full time occupation. One day without practice and you would lose your embouchure. Accuracy was a hit and miss affair until you became so good through years of practice. Fine if I had made the choice 20 years ago, but I didn't. String instruments and smaller brass were all that was available when I was a youngster. Last year I rented a French Horn and took a few lessons from a local music store. I got about as far as an octave and was playing simple tunes within that range. I am wondering about Euphonium or Tuba or both even as my motivation is mostly to be able to play music with others. Tuba seems more in demand but there doesn't appear to be an easy way to try one to see. I have a Reynolds Trombone that I am told plays very well by its former owner but neither he nor I play trombone. I'd like to use it as partial trade towards a decent beginner Euph. I also have a very good Chinese violin that I could throw in towards a Tuba. But does anyone out there think a 45 year old could get anything useful out of beginning so late on either of these instruments???? TIA.

H

Follow Ups: