Re: Double-bell Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on January 04, 2004 at 10:15:15:

In Reply to: Double-bell Euphonium posted by Carl on January 04, 2004 at 09:18:46:

I normally play tuba in the groups with which I play, but usually bring out a double bell euphonium for Tuba Christmas. I also use it when a euphonium part is needed in one of the community bands with which I play. I currently have a 5 valve (4 plus the change valve) King from the 1940s. It has a fixed bell front large bell, a detachable front facing small bell, and side/front action valves. It seems similar to the current King model 2266, but with an added second bell. It plays alright, but doesn't have the tone quality of other DB or regular euphs I have played.

I had a 4 valve Conn from the 1930s with a similar bell and valve configuration. It played a little better than the King. I also had a J.W. Pepper from the 1890s with a fixed upright main bell, detachable front facing small bell, and 3 top action valves with the change valve on the side. This was probably the best playing DB euph I have ever had, but it was a high pitch horn that needed work to be playable in modern pitch. The valves also needed to be done, but I bet if they were this would have been an outstanding playing instrument.

Someone in a band I played in in Central Florida had a 5 valve Conn with similar configuration to my King, but it was gold plated with Conn's top of the line artist engraving. Besides sounding great, it looked incredible. It looked similar to the one shown in this link, but gold plated.

I would suggest finding a Conn from the 1940s or earlier if you are looking for a player. Expect to either pay a lot of money or to have to spend a lot on restoration, but in the end you should a fun instrument that you could use on a regular basis.

Follow Ups: