Re: Home-made hard cases

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Taj on February 02, 2003 at 16:55:52:

In Reply to: Home-made hard cases posted by curious on January 27, 2003 at 09:12:49:

About three years ago I made one out of plywood and took a recording bass from Denver to Italy. This monster was about 2'x2'x4' with casters and handles. I had padlocked hasps on the lid and secondary closure of nylon straps. I framed the inside with 2x2 and built the inside to accomodate the bell in a chamber under the wrap of the horn. (made an angled area) It was all held together with carpenters glue and drywall screws, then painted forest service brown with identification stensils. The gross weight (with horn) was about 100#. Another musician brought her MW25 in a form fitting case built by her father. The airlines (Delta) tried to destroy both horns and cases. Her's was thrown from the baggage hold to the cart and the horn inside severly damaged. Mine was too big and heavy to chance such nonsense. The handling apes turned my case upside down, beat it around and in general abused the outside. The horn stayed safe strapped down inside and all of the bubblewrap house insulation padding lined with fleece wasn't all that necessary. The bubblewrap was laminated with aluminum foil and foiled the x-ray machine in Rome. They made me get off the jet and go to the baggage room to open it for inspection. You should have seen this thing. It was strapped to the bow of a ferry going into Venice and salt water splashed up on the deck, soaking the wheels. It squeeked for the next few days until I got tired of it and gave them a shot of Al Cass. Really, it's all true!!! I still have it in a shed out back, but the Reynolds bass only gets played at TubaChristmas. I use my new horn most of the time now. (The horns live indoors, not in the shed) Good luck building. It's a nice excuse to buy a new tablesaw.
Taj

Follow Ups: