Re: which takes more air - bass bone or tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on February 01, 2003 at 20:52:14:

In Reply to: which takes more air - bass bone or tuba posted by Marty Neilan on January 31, 2003 at 23:49:33:

Hmm...this is funny (interesting funny, not particularly ha-ha funny). When I first began doubling on bass trombone (my primary instrument is tuba) it seemed to require a tremendous amount of air, and I was unable to sustain phrases on it for more than a few seconds.

However, reading this thread has made me realise that a) I can now play phrases of about the same length on both instruments and b) I haven't even thought about the comparison of the two in a very long time.

I think this shows two things. First, when I began playing the bass trombone, I had a very inefficient ratio of lip to air. Because my chops weren't optimised for the bass trombone, I had to use more air compression to make them vibrate. This meant that I was wasting a lot of air which rushed away when my aperture was open. Also, it meant that I had to play at least mf or f to get any color into an otherwise wooly, unfocused sound. So, I was wasting air, and by playing louder than necessary all the time, I was wasting even more air.

Secondly, when you concentrate on the mechanics of playing an instrument rather than the end product (i.e. the sounds and music you are producing) it will seem like really hard work. If you devote your attention to the end product, you get out of your body's way and just get on it.

I now focus mainly on playing quietly when I practice my trombone. I find that playing loudly can cover up a lot of problems, whereas the quiet stuff only works when I'm doing things the right way.

I think the answer to almost all questions about doubling (which horn/mouthpiece/air stream/...) is to focus on the instrument you are playing at that moment. Remember what it is and what it is supposed to sound like, and you'll figure it out.

Jeff

Follow Ups: