Re: Flying with a tuba - Again!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micky Wrobelski on February 01, 2003 at 20:41:39:

In Reply to: Flying with a tuba - Again! posted by John Caves on January 31, 2003 at 23:01:21:

Having just gone throught the same thing four months and again only two days ago, here's what I did. Granted, I traveled Air Canada out of Chicago-O'Hare, but maybe the same will work for you.

Along with the usual of packing the bell full of skivies, socks, and towels, I packed around the bell as well, again with light "shock absorbant" materials. You have to be careful. If you pack it too tightly, the only thing that will end up "giving" in case of a bump or a fall is the brass. So, be careful!!

I brought three tubas here with me to Shanghai and only one sustained damage to the bell, and that was because when the person delivered to me from the airport, he kind of slammed it on the floor. His body has yet to be found....

At the airport check-in, just be very professional about the whole ordeal. Let the folks at the counter know that there are special requirements (i.e. you ca't stack things on top of it, it must sit with the handle "up", and plaster the crap out of it with fragile stickers.) If you are kind to them, they will reply in kind. In other words, don't whine about how nervous you are, just tell them the facts: If the horn is damaged, it will forever alter the sound of the instrument. And, since you are going to China, you have no idea where you could get it fixed before the first concert. So, it's safe arrival is imperative. Also, make sure that the horn NEVER EVER goes on a conveyor belt. You need to have them get someone to physically take it from you to the airplane (Don't forget to tip them either, I give them $10 and tell them what I told the checki-in person. It's worked for me so far.)

I hope that helps a little bit. Email me privately with when/where you'll be performing in China.

Cordially,
Micky Wrobleski
Addict, Metroid Prime

Follow Ups: