Re: Re: Re: York 4valve Sousa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on February 01, 2003 at 06:19:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: York 4valve Sousa posted by Looks LIke a 40K on January 31, 2003 at 23:42:23:

I agree with you , that this instrument most likely is a Conn 40K.

It is so much alike to my own 40K, that there for me is hardly any doubt. The valve section wrap is identical.

There are three differences from my sample:

There is a water valve mounted on the low bow of the 4th valve tubing right before it re-enters the piston. I would call that a very good idea. Mine does not have that water valve, and even with the bell taken off a 40K is a heavy animal to spin.

Mine is gold plated and has that special look of a 75 years old gold over silver plating, where the colour is nice, but nowhere close to the intensity, that I have seen on new gold plated Bach trumpets and Selmer saxophones.

When I mention this matter of colour, then not for the purpose of bragging, but because the 3rd difference may only exist in my visual perception:

When I look at my 40K, the outer bow running behind the back of the player appears to be of a considerably more generous bore than the back bow of the instrument discussed. However visual comparisons are very difficult, as so much depends on perspective and of the surface look of the tubing: gleaming versus matte.

Klaus

Follow Ups: