Re: Re: BSO

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on January 29, 2003 at 13:08:58:

In Reply to: Re: BSO posted by Dave Zerkel on January 29, 2003 at 11:02:50:

"Going into the audition, I was very relaxed, largely because it was not a pressure situation I have a comfy job in a comfy town with a comfy pace of life. When I was in my twenties, every audition that I took was "do or die". Well guess what…it's hard to succeed with that mentality. "

That sounds a whole lot like how I felt when I got my job in the Army Band. I had a career/job which payed very well. Wife had just gotten her job also, so financially I was not paniced anymore. Assumed that due to me being off the horn for those 2-3 years that I would not really be that competitive anyways, especially hearing Mr. Perantoni's students totally embarass me in the practice rooms on an almost daily basis. I mean that last part in the best possible way.

In college every audition seemed like an exhibition of self worth(lessness). Playing sure got more fun when it went back to being a hobby instead of a necessity. Hobbiest and community band types might just be the happiest group of musicians out there.

Follow Ups: