Re: Re: Re: Re: Home-made hard cases

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 29, 2003 at 01:55:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Home-made hard cases posted by Chuck(G) on January 29, 2003 at 01:27:07:

If you used carbon fiber cloth instead of fiberglass, you could make the skin quite thin. You'd have to use epoxy "resin", but it might be sufficiently strong at only an eighth inch thick, which I'd bet is half the thickness of the WJ shell. That would be the only possible material that would be much lighter than wood and still be strong, but it's a mess to work with (I watched a guy make a custom CF composite bike frame, and I was scared to get closer than 15 feet for fear of becoming a part of the project rather than an observer). But I think laying fiberglass over wood makes no sense for a case. I would add weight and waterproofness, the latter of which is not worth suffering the former.

Assuming the WJ case is strong enough, the value in using a stronger fiber layup would be making it thinner and lighter with the same strength.

Rick "who thinks that, pound for pound, plywood would resist sharp punctures better, however" Denney

Follow Ups: