Re: Yamaha Custom Euphonium YEP 842S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on January 28, 2003 at 15:27:14:

In Reply to: Yamaha Custom Euphonium YEP 842S posted by YEP 842S on January 28, 2003 at 11:16:53:

I will be switching now from the Willson 2900 to the Yamaha 842.

I tried out one at the conference, as well as Don Palmire's new horn. They were slightly different--I liked Don's a little better than the one on the exhibit floor.

The one thing I would say that sets it apart from the Willson--it is so EASY to play. I've always liked the Willson, but found that outside the standard 2 octave range (low Bb to high Bb) that the Willson made me work too hard for notes--just hitting them well, and sometimes pitch. I also tend to have a stuffy sound in the pre-pedal range. I know that some of this is simply me, but the Yamaha made it SOOO much easier--the very high and very low stuff.

As far as sound is concerned, I may miss my Willson sound. I'm not sure. But, as my new Yamaha 842 will be paid for by the band, I can decide on my own over time which horn has the better qualities.

Right now, though, I am betting on the Yamaha.

Ohh, and I never really did like the Bessons... Even the Prestige. Why put a complicated tuning slide-adjustment thingy on a horn?? Why not just design it so it is more in tune in the FIRST PLACE???!?!!?

Follow Ups: