Re: Yamaha Custom Euphonium YEP 842S

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott F. on January 28, 2003 at 12:03:29:

In Reply to: Yamaha Custom Euphonium YEP 842S posted by YEP 842S on January 28, 2003 at 11:16:53:

Actually John Mueller is NOT a Yamaha artist. He is a Meinl-Weston artist and plays a 451. I didn't think his sound was bright after hearing him this past weekend at the ARMY-TEC.

The 842 is an awesome horn and it does have a rich dark sound, although it does feel sound slightly different from the 642. The 842 sounds more like a Besson. I played one at last weekend at Ft. Myer and it had all the magic. This is in stark contrast to one played that I played for a while new out of the box. The brand new one I played was a little stuffy in compensating register although it was clearly more open in the cash register. This one at Ft. Myer was very open from top to bottom. Plus, the one I played at the NABBA conference (two years ago also at Ft. Myer) was outstanding as well. The differences could be attributable to a number of factors. One could be that the ones at the conferences are well broken in and hence respond better. Dave Werden wrote an article about his observations and this could be a factor. Another possible factor is that the Yamaha custom horns are supposedly completely hand made versus machine made. Hence, the slight inconsistency. It should be noted that pitch was near-flawless on all of them.

Follow Ups: