Re: Re: Re: High Range: Drawing lips toward teeth?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by And....? on January 27, 2003 at 17:04:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: High Range: Drawing lips toward teeth? posted by Mary Ann on January 27, 2003 at 15:27:13:

No offense intended MA, but aside from critising existing posters, what advise do you have regarding the original post?

Perhaps if those who've listed previously met 'Bill' (or any other individual) personally, they could advise far better regarding his concerns... It sounds as if the gentleman does not have a teacher and that would be a good place to start; I'm positive you'd agree... Advise in 'this' format cannot hope to do more than offer general advise as a start-point.

Sorry to drone-on about Arnold Jacobs but he's regarded universally as a (the?) great Wind (music?) teacher and in Song and Wind, there is no Chapter on 'How to Play High' or other facets of playing; instead, an overview of Jacobs' teaching philosiphies and some readily understood (non-specific) breathing excercises.

If it was that simple the first person to 'work it out' would write a method book and everyone could learn from that.

Focusing on results is, I'm my (and a host of other people's) opinion, the most productive way of teaching. If I had a session with a teacher who suggested I'd missed a high note because I didn't rotate my lips 2.43degrees toward my teeth or acheive an air speed of 5.02metres/second, I'd be at best, confused. If that teacher took the problem note and probably the surrounding ones and used them as an excercise - I might have a start-point for some work. Have you heard of paralisis by analysis?

People miss notes because they don't know what it feels like to play them well enough. Their SUBCONCIOUS brains haven't yet learn't the ability to tell intricate muscle-groups what to do to get results. This is only achieved through doing, doing again, and again...

Hope this isn't taken as too rude, I just think some people expect a little too much of this board.
M

Follow Ups: