Re: High Range: Drawing lips toward teeth?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dean on January 27, 2003 at 15:55:23:

In Reply to: High Range: Drawing lips toward teeth? posted by Bill on January 27, 2003 at 12:44:00:

I dont agree with the "Just Do It" approach below--that is simply a slogan for Nike.

I wish every problem I had with the horn could be solved by "Just Do It"--I'd be a Steven Mead in no time!!

Anyway, some people learn how to do things in a different way--sometimes a phrase, or a way of describing something--can make you click, and you begin to learn how to play those high notes.

For me it was my conducting teacher, who was also a hornist. He told me to simply think of my aperture getting smaller as I play higher. Now, that doesnt explain EVERYTHING about playing high, but that one idea clicked for me, and instantly gave me about a minor third...

What you said about "puckering" is not the intended idea, I don't think... "Drawn in toward the teeth" could be speaking of a slight rolling of the lower lip--rolling around the lower teeth (think of the old grandpa without teeth, only not nearly that extreme!) Again, this helps, but moderate it--too much is bad.

Somewhere out there is a video of playing with clear mouthpieces--one of my former teachers has it. It shows the lips of various players--good and bad, throughout various ranges. So, you can SEE the difference in range, articulation, etc... pretty neat.

Email me and we can discuss where to find it--I gotta ask my teacher.

Follow Ups: