Re: Re: Re: Range difficulties

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JoeS on January 27, 2003 at 12:13:44:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Range difficulties posted by Jay Bertolet on January 27, 2003 at 09:40:04:

I have, with a degree of success, "smoothed out" the change in my embouchure(S) over the years. I had(ve) three (or maybe four) distinct embouchures and realized that there was a bit of a problem.

Personally, I simply can't play the entire range of the tuba (as the mouth goes from almost completely jammed shut [well, not quite] to 3/8" or more open) with one embouchure (at least not with a "professional"-quality sound), so I gave up rather quickly on that idea. Here's what I did. AGAIN, THIS TOOK A FEW YEARS - AND IF I GO A COUPLE OF MONTHS WITH LITTLE PLAYING, I HAVE TO "REINFORCE" THE "PATCHES" A LITTLE BIT:

1/ First, I developed significant "overlap" (SEVERAL half-steps) between the different embouchures, so that most phrases could be played withOUT embouchure changes.

2/ While doing this, I discovered that - without trying - I developed "transitional embouchures" between the "main" embouchures...simply that I was gradually and smoothly going from one mouth-shape to the next (a good thing, I believe).

Now, I have NO problem AT ALL with register shifts (except, of course those lighting-fast ones involved in extremely difficult individual pieces that simply require practice for anyone ). I am a strong advocate of Schlossberg, and have had my son (who has TWO trumpet teachers - a "classic/technique" teacher and a "jazz" teacher...plus his meddling Dad) - now age 14 - working out of Schlossberg for two years so far. Personally, I "invent" Schlossberg-like things every day to use as warm-up patterns - going down through my on-the-spot "compositions" chromatically through the various valve combinations - sometimes with separations, sometimes connected, sometimes loud, sometimes soft. This does nothing but reinforce my embouchure's smooth transitions from one "shape" to the next.

Since I cannot play with only one embouchure, I have to assume that there are others like me. If you are one, perhaps this will help.

Follow Ups: