Report on Tuba Symposium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on January 27, 2003 at 11:35:20:

This past weekend Boise State University hosted its first ever tuba/euph symposium which was, I think, a great success. The event featured a high school level "all-star" tuba/euph ensemble comprised of players from 5 different states, which is quite a distance out here in the west.

During the day, Skip Grey rehearsed the ensemble and gave master classes to students from Boise State University (one undergrad, one masters student, and me, a doctoral student).

The evening concert featured Michael Fischer playing two world premier pieces ... one was very nice and may become standard repertoire soon - Sea Dreams by Barbara York. I don't remember the other piece... it was quite good, but it was not tonal... I'll get the name later.

After Dr. Fischers performance, Dr. Grey performed 3 wonderful solos. I really liked his arrangement of English Folk Song Suite for Tuba and Piano. He also played Craft Encounters II. Normally, this piece scares children. But Dr. Grey did such a nice job describing the piece before playing it that it was a hit.

Lastly, The Boise State University Tuba Euphonium Choir and the "All-Star" High School Tuba/ Euph ensemble (and a mass of the two) played arrangements ranging from Bach to Jazz.

This was the first tuba/euph symposium held in Boise and it was terrific. Congratulations are in order for the nice job Michael Fischere is doing at Boise State University and for tubists/ euphonium players throughout the rtegion.

Follow Ups: