Euphonium methods

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Stefan Antwarg on January 26, 2003 at 13:59:36:

I know this is mainly a tuba list, but I figure that a lot of you have experience with Euphonium players.

I have a student who has decided to get serious with euphonium. He has always been a very solid player - made all state in 8th grade and in 9th grade and is first chair in the all county band as a freshman. Just the other day he bought a new euphonium - a Willson - so it has become obvious to me that he really wants to stick with it and progress. Right now I have him working out of Rochut, Arbans, and Tyrell trombone books. I work with him a lot on air and tone and have tried to teach him vibrato. I also have him listen to CD's of professional euphonium players to hear the sound and vibrato. He struggles with the Tyrell book because of range but he has very good technique and likes working on that.

I just feel we are at a bit of a plateau but that now is the time he will get out of it. I am looking for recommendations on method books, solos, and general recommendations on what I need to do to get him to an advanced high school level. Now that he has the Willson, I just feel I need to give a little more. And yes, I know that in the end it is up to him to progress, but I am the one who needs to tell him what to do.

Thanks,
Stefan

Follow Ups: