Re: Army Reserve/Guard Bands

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on January 24, 2003 at 20:55:34:

In Reply to: Army Reserve/Guard Bands posted by Scott on January 24, 2003 at 12:56:35:

I have played in 3 different Army National Guard band, and each one is very different. I must say, that I never experienced any K.P. duty or anything like that.

Most Army National Guard bands have good to great benefits. In Idaho you get your monthly pay, GI Bill if you are in school, Tuition reimbursement which pays for 15 semester credits, book reimbursement, and a bunch of other good benefits. For a college student, it is a great deal.

Musically, there is great variotion between bands. The California National Guard Band in Sacramento was (last time I heard them) a GREAT band. Mainly professionals and old jazzers. In contrast, there is a guard band near where I live that isn't real good. It depends on the commander and the people in the band (obviously). It seems that bands with a lot of college students tend to have a high turn-over and are inconsistent. Bands with older players and former active duty players seem to be a bit better.

By the way, although the "pary line" is that they rehearse once a month, many bands actually meet for 4 hours every week instead of two 8+ hour days in a row.

Lastly, some Guard Band get great Gigs. I have traveled to Paris (France, not Texas), Jamaica, Nicaragua with guard bands... all expenses paid... not too bad.

Follow Ups: