Re: Breaking through that Barrier

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris B on January 24, 2003 at 14:45:40:

In Reply to: Breaking through that Barrier posted by Matt A on January 23, 2003 at 16:25:36:

As I read what was said so far, there were many ideas that are all valid. I have always been both a singer and player and each compliments the other. For me, it was a combination of reading 'Song and Wind' and studying with a Jacob's student that got me going. But I think what put me over the top was to get a vsualizer (I really like the Marcinkiewicz (except teh price!) because you can put it in your horn to be sure you are not changing from buzzing to the way you play) and then working to get the best quality you can on it. Playing tunes and going all over the range with the visualizer really helped me. I use a tuner when I buzz to help me really solidify the notes. I listen to records and players and open my mind up to what is being done. Finding a good mentor who can really PLAY helps a lot. Lastly, really read what AJ said about the whole mental side of playing and then DO IT. 'The Inner Game of Music' is a book that comes at it from a generic perspecive. Tape your playing and try for the best sound you can get, even if you are playing 'Come To Jesus' in whole notes.

Follow Ups: