Re: Breaking through that Barrier

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Cattanach on January 24, 2003 at 08:38:48:

In Reply to: Breaking through that Barrier posted by Matt A on January 23, 2003 at 16:25:36:

These observations are completely personal to me. Disregard them if you wish!

I made my greatest improvements by constantly playing in GOOD groups of players, whether Brass Bands, Jazz Orchestras or Orchestras. No amount of individual practice could have made me the player I am now (still with some to go mind you!). The constant striving to keep up with a good musical group, listening to all the players and conductor and regular conductor-less ensemble playing have taught me more than any teacher so far.

In the Brass Band world, several things have really pushed me:

1. Rehearsals and concerts with great conductors and musicians like Howard Snell, Bram Tovey, Ian Bousfield, James Gourley, Allen Vizzutti etc. Just listening to what they say and how they play teaches me every time I go.
2. At British Brass band contests, always wanting and trying to be the best (in my case) BBb Bass player of the day, no matter what the ocassion.
3. Constantly playing and working as a TEAM of 4 tubas, who provide the whole bass structure of the band.

Out of brass bands:

1. Playing in a brass 10 piece, where your job is laying down the time as well as everything else. No conductor!
2. Having the chance to play with people like Bobby Shew, Condoli Brothers, James Morrison, Bill Watrous etc. One rehearsal and gig with players like this can teach you a lot IF YOU WANT TO LEARN!
3. Playing all and any type of music concert that comes my way. From Line Dancing to Opera.
4. Listening to as many diverse gigs as possible with top players. My 2 favourite concerts I've attended never used Tubas! Tower of Power in London and Chick Corea Elektric Band II have been 2 of the tightest and most musical experiences I've ever seen. Although London Brass have benn inspirational in concert as well.

These rantings are the way I've got to where I am (which is probably not where any of you want to be anyway!)
I've only had 10 lessons with an actual tuba teacher in my life. MUSIC, not just TUBA, is the answer IMHO.

Andy Cattanach, UK.
Williams Fairey Brass Band, Intrada Brass Ensemble, Wigan Jazz Club Big Band etc.

Follow Ups: