Re: Re: Re: Chop Sticks

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris B on January 23, 2003 at 03:37:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Chop Sticks posted by Norm on January 18, 2003 at 12:52:42:

I think it is probably more common than the exception that players play off center. The literature with the Chop-Sticks says just put them in the center of your embouchure unless you want to try to move your embouchure, in which case put it in the center of your mouth.

As to the muscle question, we're talking corners here and the Chop-Sticks do corners like there is no tomorrow. No smile embouchure, just strength. There kind of like lifting weights and you really feel it in the corners. In fact you are not supposed to even use them if you have ot play that day or even the day before as you do need some recovery time. I just went to a master class that Chris Olka of the Seattle Symphony gave where he demonstrated dramatically the effect of corners of the mouth, especially in the pedal register. I am finding that as I work through the program, all my notes are sounding stronger and more centered. No negative effects to date.

I added a visualizer to the mix and between the two am really getting up to speed fast. I bought the Marcinkiewicz visualizer (ouch! pricey, but can be put in your horn to be sure you are playing as you buzz). Again saw and heard some rather dramatic reasons to do this from Chris. Email me if you want even more detail. I am finding that the visualizer is more effective by a whole bunch than just buzzing the mouthpiece. Marcinkiewicz just cuts out the sides of a mouthpiece, hence the high price. Arnold Jacobs in 'Song and Wind' doesn't think the specific rim is important in a visualizer. I am playing a Laskey 30H and the visualizer is an Marc. "H" rim. Close, but not the same. I really don't notice the difference.

Follow Ups: