Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by dp on January 22, 2003 at 11:57:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by Klaus on January 22, 2003 at 06:28:42:

"He is especially right, when he points out, that the standards for evaluating tuba playing is set much lower among tuba players, than it is set in the musical world as a whole."

Klause, if this is what you and Joe truly believe, then I truly disagree with you.

I personally make a strong distinction between "standards" (which you two wish to consider this discussion about) and "impropriety" (which is a better characterization of an overly critical, intentionally inciteful, and belligerently defended opinion.)

As to playing standards, it is absolutely ridiculous to contend that tubists aspiring to a playing profession are in any way coddled to a lower standard than other instrumentalists. Good evidence of that can be seen in the audition cycles we have here in the states. Do not leap for the chance to EVEN suggest that selections in Boston do not take place because the caliber of players is lower than other instrumentalists! Your suggestion is offensive to every person who strives to better themselves on the tuba as their chosen instrument!!!

Look at the audition lists published, for example for Fort Worth, thats representative of the rep, and certainly no dumbed-down standard (can I bring in "Shores of the Mighty Pacific?")

Even the rigor a lackluster player like myself was subjected to in juries preparation in college was not accomodating of my low-skill level AT ALL, and the grades I received reflected that. All this at a school which was NOT known at the time for any sort of "impressive" tuba studio. The studios which do have reputations deserve them, and there is NO WAY that these teachers maintain a lower standard for their students than other instrumental instructors.

Now then as to propriety, there is something to be said about the term "modesty" when we understand it's value in an individual of exceptional talent, there is also something to be said about "civility" when addressing pratfalls, or (in some cases) shortfalls. This is why most civil, polite people (friends or teachers as example) give a compliment to a performer immediately following a performance. The performer will likely hear a more accurate appraisal in their lesson with their teacher the following week, or over beer and pretzels with the friend a few days after.

It may be that these comments are simply crafted to spark debate, or perhaps "push buttons." If thats the case you have slipped to the level of the very kids who've (in the past) harrassed you personally on this site, Klause. I think this is likely, just as it is likely that Joes belligerent defense of his critique became intentionally offensive, and no amount of intellectualization can make that intent go away....certainly none as inelegant as (now both of) you are offering.

Follow Ups: