Re: Re: Mike Finn m.p.'s, & m.p.'s in general

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by B.G. on January 21, 2003 at 19:07:42:

In Reply to: Re: Mike Finn m.p.'s, & m.p.'s in general posted by Jay Bertolet on January 21, 2003 at 10:40:45:

Well Jay, your question kind of implies that debating is a bad thing. IMHO, debating is a good thing, as long as people don't get personal about it. I would think that asking a rhetorical question, and having a debate over it, would go hand in hand.

Not to go off in a tangent, but I think we've reached a point in our society (and I can't speak for other countries) where debating any given issue is considered a bad thing. I would submit that true progress is not possible without debate.

Anyway, I could see the Willson Eb working terrifically for the Bruckner 4th (as would a good 3/4 CC, I would think). I just think that the one I received just may not have been a particularly great horn. I struggled with its high range (yes, even using an Eb/F m.p.), and I found the tuning to be rather strange, with many notes out of whack. I have no complaints about its low register. However, the main issue for me was that it just didn't fit, as I've bored everyone about before. I just didn't have the extra money to alter those issues.

I kind of sense that I've stepped on your toes by using Mike Finn m.p.'s as an example. I've never tried any model of those m.p.'s, so I have no opinion what so ever! I'm just asking about a trend that I've noticed, and I'm just asking if there's truly such a thing as progress in m.p. designs - that's all.

Jay, I've always appreciated your input (and still do), including your input on the Willson Eb. As you said yourself, the good news is that we have choices. Because my low register is much stronger than my upper register, and because I don't care for norrow funnel m.p.'s (not that that has a lot to do with it), the Besson 983 is working out fine for me for the amount, and type of playing that I'm doing at this stage in my life. I'm hoping to add a really good 5/4 CC back into my life at some point, but I need to dig myself further out of debt first.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: