Re: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank Lee on January 20, 2003 at 23:27:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Vaughan-Williams Concerto with Jacobs posted by What a ...... on January 20, 2003 at 22:41:09:

I'm not sure that telling a young person to locate a recording of "some guy who wasn't quite up to the task" or "some guy who was up to the task, but not when he made his recording" is particularly useful, since those recordings aren't much more than curiosities. Nope, I don't know how to spell Phil Cat...'s name, but I'd bet that doesn't upset him (a very nice fellow, I've heard). Incidentally, I forgive Phil (though somehow I don't think this concerns him today, either) for butchering the composer's marked articulations and changing several notes, his significant influence on the piece being that even today's Oxford edition is only a "rendering". Again, the artistry level of his recording is simply not impressive and it only rates as a historical curiosity... ' something for state university tuba teachers to place on their bookshelves and show off to each other - after giving it one hearing.

Now continue your flames without my retorts, as I'm going to curl up under my favorite woul blanket and listen to my rare vintage recording of Earl Scruggs, the famous bluegrass banjo virtuoso, scuffling his way through the Mendelsohn Violin Concerto.

Abandoning the quips, I would recommend that Frank listen to "Flech" (I think they meant John Fletcher.) and the Downing recording is OK, among a few others.

Follow Ups: