Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Military Band Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 20, 2003 at 18:34:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Military Band Question posted by Joe Baker on January 20, 2003 at 17:35:11:

I'm tempted to disagree just to taunt you into responding with more wisdom.

We have an abundance of choices in modern life, far beyond the conception of previous generations. We have to find ways to focus on something to keep from being overwhelmed. The military is one way to address it. It comes with focus built into it, and this imposed discipline has saved lots of people from getting lost. The choices for those in military are more restricted, and the supervision of how those choices are made is closer. If that is what you mean by accountability, then I agree.

In many walks of life outside the military, including in many ways college, you are not told what to do--you have to determine it for yourself with not much guidance. You have to start with the blank sheet of paper.

Some people thrive within the military structure, and others are stifled by it. The lack of built-in discipline in college was nearly my undoing. I remember complaining to an older student that a professor graded me poorly without any guidance during the semester to correct my wrong turnings, and that student's response was, "Welcome to college." One might get more guidance and sooner in the military. But one might learn sooner how to live without it outside the military. It depends on the person.

Rick "who learned late how to be told what to do" Denney

Follow Ups: