Re: Finale 2001d frustration

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 20, 2003 at 17:46:43:

In Reply to: Finale 2001d frustration posted by art H on January 20, 2003 at 11:05:55:

I am on two Finale lists. As mentioned there is one run from the Coda site, but the one I like best is the one linked to below. It is run from the Sam Houston State University server.

The reason for my preferences for this list is, that some extremely cunning people are active there. Among them some of the developers of the third party plug-ins, that some find very important for the use of Finale. Much of these plug-ins are announced and offered as demos through this list.

I am not the most active user of plug-ins, but still I often fell myself inspired by the discussions. And a thing, that has proven itself very useful for me was the offer of free templates emulating a certain engraving style used by a German edition house.

This list is cross-platform in so far, that it discusses topics common for the Wintel and Mac platforms as well as topics specific for each platform. As I read the list, there are no hints of platform wars at all. Sometimes there are discussions on some musical topics, that run far out on a tangent. As the contributors rarely act as instrumentalists, but more a musical structuralists with very diverse backgrounds, such discussions can be quite interesting.

The only very instrument specific threads are about tablatures for plucked strings and about symbols for harp pedal shifts. But as I never write for harp and only uses plain notation for guitars, I just can apply my delete button.

Klaus

PS: There also is a Yahoo list about Finale, but that list appears to be a bit dull in my eyes.

PSII: This thread has revealed, that the differences between Finale visuals and MIDI on Wintel and Mac are more pronounced, than I knew of. My initial advise was given in the best faith, but now I have learned a bit also.

Follow Ups: