Re: Re: Re: Re: Miraphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tom on January 18, 2003 at 20:58:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Miraphone posted by Dave on January 18, 2003 at 12:10:01:

My numbers came from memory. Now at home, I looked at the web site and saw the stats given on the various horns. I also have two sales brochures from Miraphone, one from the late eighties and one from the mid nineties. Both say the same thing. All the kaiser horns are built the same to the end of the valve section, after that they split into the oval style (#55 or #56) or the upright/bell front style (#55a or #56a). The model 55 horns are three valve horns with the bore specified as 14.6 - 15.5 mm. The model 56 horns are four valve horns, with bore given as 14.6 - 16.2 mm. The first two valves are at 14.6 mm, the third valve is at 15.5 mm, and the additional fourth and optional fifth valve are at 16.2 mm.
I make my interpretations from the catalog based on my experience with my own horn, the smaller model #54. The catalog lists its bore size as 13.8 - 14.6 mm. Sitting with a pair of calipers, I measured the first two valves at about 13.8 mm and the second two valves at 14.6 mm. I admit that I have never held a model #55 or #56 in my hands, so my claims are made from my experience with my own horn and my interpretations of the now 10 year old catalogs. The best way to settle this would be to email Miraphone directly and ask. I have emailed them twice before regarding a tube mouthpiece and they were very prompt and friendly. As a kid I also got a chance to tour their factory. That was fun!
I have toyed with the idea of buying a model #56. If I get one, I'll post my what I have. Thanks for reading my ramblings and have a good day.

Tom

Follow Ups: