Re: cimbasso & boosey f

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on January 17, 2003 at 18:35:13:

In Reply to: cimbasso & boosey f posted by munter on January 17, 2003 at 17:32:38:

A year or two ago there was a sale of a number (less than 10) of prototypes of Besson 4 piston front action compensating tubas. Basically a cut down version of the 983 Eb model.

I hunted one of these F tubas but failed. I was told, that I should not regret that, because the whole F-tuba project had been given up by Besson, because, they could not get the intonation right.

there have been previous generations of Besson/B&H F tubas in the 50-ies and 60-ies. 3+2 non compensating and 3+1 compensating models. For a few years I have monitored a great part of the open low brass market. I do not remember having seen any of these for sale.

The only one of these, that I have seen documented on the web is pictured above here. Its history can be found through the link given below here.

As for used cimbassos on the open market, then they also are extremely rare. the only one, that I know of is the one, that Chuck Guzis found on a German auction, and which will be pictured in the next posting.

I know that a not so young US player has/had a Cerveny 4 rotary valve bass trombone in F, that he wanted to sell, because it was heavy to lift and physically very demanding to play. That model might be the only one, that would be affordable for normal private persons. Where I come from such special instruments generally are owned by orchestras, not even by pro players.

I don't think I have brought you closer to your goals, but this is just about a resume of the open low brass debates of recent years.

Klaus

Follow Ups: