Re: Re: Looking for tuba quartet wedding music.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on January 17, 2003 at 12:23:26:

In Reply to: Re: Looking for tuba quartet wedding music. posted by John Edens on January 17, 2003 at 01:10:50:

Oh, please.

As a professional, one has to accommodate when the bride says, "And I want the...the...what's it called? The something Canon." It's so hard not to wince, thinking about repeating those same 8 notes over, and over, and over again. Of course, we're happy for the work, so it's "service with a smile."

Whenever I play the Pachebel Canon on tuba, piano, organ, or ocarina, I can't help thinking about the Canadian Brass video, "Home Movies." Chuck is pictured as bored as any of us tuba players would be playing this monotony, until he spots a gardener nearby. He motions the gardener over to the performance area and begins teaching him the fingerings for the 8 notes (actually only 6 different pitches). He hands the tuba to the gardener, who contentedly takes over the bass ostinato. Meanwhile, Chuck is seen reclining on a chaise lounge blithely sipping a martini while his CB colleagues and their “new” tubist obligingly continue the Pachelbel until the coda.

Follow Ups: