Re: Re: Re: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 17, 2003 at 10:20:19:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: The E-Bay HOLTON posted by Rick Denney on January 17, 2003 at 07:54:50:

Hey Rick!

The Laskey 30H I'm using didn't adversely change the response in the range you're talking about, it was one of the three or four best sounding and feeling mouthpieces in that range of the horn. One of the best was the R&S Heavyweight Helleberg but the pitch with mouthpiece was completely wacko. Especially with my horn, the low G and F# are wonderful notes. The F# can tend to be a little sharp with the 2-4 fingering if I'm not careful but the 5-2-3 fingering takes care of this in those instances where that might actually be an issue.

One of the things I've gone through with this horn is to resist the temptation to use an overly small mouthpiece on it. For example, I've gravitated toward using all of the Laskey 30 mouthpieces (except the Geib) on my various horns. The 30F is a particularly good match for my Willson and the 30C is REALLY nice on my Miraphone 184. On a lark I plugged the 30F into the Nirschl one day and it was pretty nice. I felt it made the horn a bit easier to control but it did sacrifice some sound. This was especially true in the low range. But control was definitely improved. Rather than go that route now, I'm keeping that option in my back pocket for the day when maybe the level of control I currently enjoy with the 30H isn't as easy for me. Hopefully, that day's a long way off!

In any event, I can see the attraction with using a really small mouthpiece with these types of horns. It feels really nice. That said, I feel the sound suffers more than enough to justify the slightly larger option. However, it really is a very fine line finding just the right size. I can't even imagine using something like a Bach 7 on this horn. Hell, I can't imagine using a Bach 7 period. The narrow spectrum of sizes that work for a given player on this type of instrument really limits the number of good choices. I think this is part of the reason why so many of these mouthpieces are so similar in size and feel.

Depending on your facial structure (as in what feels comfortable on your face), you might give the 30H and 30F a try on your horn. If those mouthpieces aren't the right diameter, you could try the 28 line which is a little narrower. You also might look at a Conn 7B. I find the 7B a bit restrictive but several really qualified sources recommended this mouthpiece to me for use with my horn. I would also bet that Doug Elliott could concoct something for you that would work well. And he has the advantage of doing it right there in front of you so all the parts match and are exactly what works with you and the horn.

Ah, the curse of the big horn. One expense leads to yet another. ;-)

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: