Re: Building your own flight case

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by JC on January 16, 2003 at 21:56:11:

In Reply to: Building your own flight case posted by Rob Edmiston on January 16, 2003 at 20:00:09:

It does sound sturdy, but I would weigh (no pun intended) my options of cost, taking into account the fact that airlines will charge you extra depending on what the tuba weighs.

Airlines charge, in ADDITION to oversize fees, overweight fees. 50-70 lbs costs an extra $30 (I think) while anything over 70 lbs. causes the weight fee to double. Keep in mind that these charges are incurred EACH WAY.

I use a Meinl-Weston aluminum flight case for my 2155. Case and tuba combined weigh in at 68 lbs. If the case were constructed like the one you suggest, I'd be paying an extra $60 per trip to transport my tuba.

So, depending on how much you intend to fly (I fly a couple of times a year, at least), the initial investment in a flight case might even out in the long run, not to mention you don't have to build the thing yourself and you can get a case designed by professionals specifically for use with your instrument.

I do like the idea of having he gig bag in the case, though. I wouldn't have to roll it up and call it a carry-on anymore. ;)

-J

Follow Ups: