Re: Re: Re: for H.S. band directors

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on January 16, 2003 at 17:53:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: for H.S. band directors posted by Rick Denney on January 16, 2003 at 16:56:59:

Amen!!!

The effect the NEA has had on education in this country is huge. They lobby for the education establishment, but if you follow what they are actually doing you'll see they don't advocate for teachers. I have more than 20 yrs. experience in our public schools. In my estimation, the teaching profession is on a steady spiral downward. I believe this is largely due to the NEA and organizations like it. Certainly, society has played a large role, but no one seems ready to stand up for the things most teachers know are important.

I have been reluctant to jump into this conversation. I'm sorry, I just can't hold back. I know this is a forum for tuba-euphonium. I do, however, believe everyone should become better informed. You folks out there don't need to take my word, or anyone else's who has posted here. Pay attention to what is going on in your local schools. Talk to the teachers. Ask them what the most important issues are to them. Rick has addressed important elements in his post(see above). Most of all, become informed. I believe a close examination of our country's school(certainly, here in Texas) will uncover a system badly lacking in control of the students and failing to adequately prepare the students to be productive adults in our society. Schools have taken on more and more and have are successful at less and less.

We have a large percentage of wonderful people trying their best to ignore the problems with the system, and to somehow get the job done. Our teachers should be praised for this. They seldom are. The typical teacher's dedication is part of the problem. We don't take on the larger problems. Some of these are exactly what NEA should be doing, but they are not. They are too busy being political(and politically correct). They should be advocating for the teachers.

That's my opinion. Check it out for yourself.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
(didn't mean to rant)

Follow Ups: