Re: need some help weighing options

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Robertson on January 16, 2003 at 00:06:09:

In Reply to: need some help weighing options posted by frustrated tubist on January 15, 2003 at 17:07:54:

I'm not going to try to sway you either way. I toughed it out and went straight through college, married. Then I joined the Army. I will give you some clarification, or updated information.

The Army is currently offering $65,000 in college loan repayment. With that, you can still use all of your GI Bill. It is not a deduction from your GI Bill. The GI Bill something entirely different

The National Guard (of any service) is different from state to state. Some states have some great benefits, and others are not so great. Make sure you get the full story on the benefits from the recruiter.

The current set of benefits for joining the active Army as a bandsmen can be found here:
http://cmf97.army.mil/docs/recruiting/benefits.doc

I will give you this advice about the military: if you are seriously considering joining, in whatever job, have the recruiter get you in touch with someone that is currently doing that job for that service, one who has nothing to do with recruiting command, and talk to them in depth about the job. Don't sign a thing until you do that.

Joining a service is kind of like pledging a frat, it's a great deal for some people, and other people should not even begin to think about it.

Follow Ups: