Re: survey on Bobo mouthpiece

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh on January 15, 2003 at 18:16:22:

In Reply to: survey on Bobo mouthpiece posted by Winton on January 15, 2003 at 17:39:59:

I assume you are asking about the Bobo Solo mouthpiece? That's what I have been using since this summer on my 45-SLP. I had been using (and sometimes still do for quintet stuff) a Miraphone Rose Solo.

While I was attending one of Maestro Bobo's masterclasses this past summer, he suggested that I try his mouthpiece (well, the Yamaha version of his mouthpiece) on my F. I did a blind test for the class and everyone was in agreement (myself included) that my sound was more alive, more focused and better in tune with the Bobo Solo.

I picked up the Bobo Solo Replica when I got back to the US and haven't thought twice about it since. As for the endurance, it has never really bothered me. For me, it mostly depends on the music that I'm playing.....and how much bass trombone work I've done that day. I've never noticed a lack of endurance between the Rose Solo (which has a deeper cup and an more rounded inner rim) and the Bobo Solo.

As for the plating preference, I prefer gold plate, but the $$$$ was a big factor in choosing the Replica. I do have a goldplated Jim Self and will say that the plating is really great and has held up very well, but I can't see the extra $160 for the difference. I'll probably send my Bobo Solo off and have it plated later this year for less than $160 :)

Hope this helps,

Josh

Follow Ups: