Re: auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brandon Jones on January 13, 2003 at 18:50:48:

In Reply to: auditions posted by Tim on January 13, 2003 at 17:33:52:

Your nerves actually can help you more than hurt you if prepared for correctly. First of all, in a situation like a college audition, you MUST be FULLY prepared musically. You cannot have any places in the music you are unsure of. Just learn it, be confident in it, and have a good time. Show off! Second, different people have different routines before they have big playing gigs or auditions. For example, I know Steven Mead likes to sleep before he plays, one of my old teachers liked to eat a banana before he played (for nerves supposedly), and one of my good friends who is now in a service band likes to listen to country music before he plays. Myself, I like to do a lot of thinking, but in broad aspects. I think of things that make a smile on my face. I thank God that I even have the chance to play again. I think of everything all of my teachers, family, and friends have done for me up to that point. I think of the many hours I'd woodshedded to get this piece or pieces of music prepared to my maximum ability. Then, once I'm good and worked up, I try to drink LOTS of water (and keep it with me during the performance in case of dry mouth or if I just get thirsty) and just relax and talk about anything but music. It just puts me at ease mentally. The MOST important thing is that YOU are comfortable. Whatever you have to do to make the situation the most comfortable for you, DO IT. Now, just because sleeping in only underwear may feel good and may be comfortable, that doesn't mean that you only wear underwear to your audition...you get the point. Just work hard, put in the hours, put in the thinking, relax, and show off and have fun! That's what music is all about. Having fun and getting caught up in the composer's intentions. Get lost in the music...make the most of it. I wish you the best of luck for your college auditions. Where are you looking at auditioning? I hope this has helped in any way. Again, good luck!

Follow Ups: