Re: Bass Bone/ Tuba Combos

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Zach Cramer on January 10, 2003 at 21:45:27:

In Reply to: Bass Bone/ Tuba Combos posted by BB on January 10, 2003 at 01:27:44:

Cincinnati Symphony Pete Norton/Mike Thornton. My idea and inspiration for what
bass trombone/tuba playing should sound like. They're amazing. Another would be Israel Philharmonic. Micha Davis/ Adi Hershko.Anyone who has heard IPO's recording of Mahler 2 or the Tchaikovsky CD would probably agree with me. Especially near the end of Marche Slave. Tom Klaber/ Ron Bishop in Cleveland are pretty darn good too. The same is true for the Cincinnati Symphony/Pops recordings of Respighi's Church Windows, Copland's music, and the Great Fantasy Adventure Album. If you want to hear absolute low brass power. Those are your recordings. I would also recommend Cincys Bruckner 6 and Bruckner 8. The Wagner album is great too, check out the trombones on Tannhauser what a sound! Heck, all of the Cincinnati Symphony/Pops recordings are fabulous. I guess i'm a little bit biased coming from Cincinnati. This is the sound i grew up with. And is still my ideal of what an orchestral brass section should sound like. I only regret that Marie Speziale and Tony Chipburn no longer play with the orchestra. That was a sound to behold and marvel at. This post doesn't do them justice. Get some recordings and listen for yourself.

Still in awe of Pete and Mike,
Zach Cramer

Follow Ups: