Re: buying a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross on January 09, 2003 at 23:35:37:

In Reply to: buying a tuba posted by Titto on January 09, 2003 at 14:28:43:

I can see from the messages below, that I have been playing with fire by buying tubas almost sight unseen, and for sure unheard, from that auction site. And my experiences doing so have singed my eye brows somewhat! Out of all the tubas I've purchased in my lifetime, half of them have been purchased on that auction site over the past few years. So I've actually been able to play only half of my tubas before buying them. However, the ones I purchased without laying my hands on them have not been expensive and I feel I've had about a 60% success rate in obtaining horns (all of them helicons) that I have been satisfied with. One in particular has been a real find and I have played it in my Dixieland group for the past two years. I am NOT a professional musician. I consider my tuba playing a hobby and I have alot of fun experimenting around with my horns and different mouthpieces and playing in different amateur groups. One of the problems with test playing good professional grade tubas is that I live in a part of the country several hundred miles from a good purveyor of tubas. And also, the tubas are usually out of my price range anyway. The money I have wrapped in my present arsenal probably wouldn't make a good down payment on a Hirsbrunner, but like I said I'm having fun with what I've got. BUT - Please, PLEASE kick me hard in the shins if I EVER look longingly at another tuba on THAT auction site!

Follow Ups: