Re: custom leadpipes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex C on January 09, 2003 at 23:05:50:

In Reply to: custom leadpipes posted by Tom on January 09, 2003 at 10:35:09:

The problem is this: how does anyone know what a custom leadpipe should BE on your horn. It's a guess, where's the published studies on this? I have had two experiences with leadpipes and I hope someone more knowledgeable than I replies because I can only give you empirical experience.

One was with a fine repairman who was replacing a damaged leadpipe for a colleague. The replacement played great and my friend asked where the repairman had gotten such a fine playing leadpipe. "Oh, I just ordered a long leadpipe from Allied and cut it where the taper matched the bore." All those years that we thought he had some secret...

Holton actually has three leadpipes for the York copies they made. One of the leadpipes delivered nearly perfect intonation but the sound and response was terrible!
"Inconsistantly erratic" is a mild description of what it did to pitch.

Another leadpipe made the horn sound like organ pipes, almost like the York tuba, itself. The pitch was unbelievable. Think how an out-of-tune organ might sound if played real loud and you've got it.

The third leadpipe is the one they put on most of the CC tubas they sold and is a compromise of the pitch and sound leadpipes. Mine was initially fitted for interchangeable leadpipes but I never used the other two after a month.

No, I don't still have them, Dale.

Follow Ups: