Re: buying a tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Marcus on January 09, 2003 at 18:47:27:

In Reply to: buying a tuba posted by Titto on January 09, 2003 at 14:28:43:

There is a parallel between the selection of tubas and my business--the selection of fine pianos.

There is a saying: "Steinways aren't sold; they are SELECTED." Although that is admittedly a cutesy slogan, it is absolutely true. Steinway dealers are required to have their inventory on display, tuned, regulated, and ready for customers to see, hear, touch, taste, and smell the actual piano that they will own, whenever possible. Every Steinway has its own "personality;" just as there are subtle differences between two top-line tubas of the same model, there are subtle differences between two Steinways of the same model. These are not good/bad, right/wrong differences; rather, they are choices of a personal nature--what appeals most to the buyer. New Steinways are not supposed to be left on their side, in a box, or buried in a warehouse; the dealer must have dedicated showroom space for proper display.

FWIW, I had the opportunity to try my own CC tuba before purchasing it, and I also had several pros test-play it before I made my decision. With something as personal and important and, yes, precious as the choice of a tuba, I wouldn’t think of acquiring a horn any other way.

On the other hand, most transactions involving "student-level" instruments are primarily predicated upon PRICE. This alludes to the mail-order mentality, that is, purchasing blindly because the dollar figure is the lowest. A multi-unit order from a public school district on a lowest-bid basis may have been preceded by some discussion of which model(s). But rarely, if ever, are individual serial numbers inspected and selected. So from this point of view, Titto is correct in his assumption in his post. Since these bids often involve multiple units, it is quite possible that “the majority of horns purchased are made without being preplayed.” [sic]

It is so common for band directors (especially those who have not played much tuba) to put in an order for whatever brand of tuba they're familiar with, without knowing how to discern quality. Unless there is something dramatically malfunctioning, these instruments are almost never rejected or returned to the vendor.

This is, in fact, why some vendors thrive: they solicit and gain much business through the winning of school bids from around the country. They’re merely fulfilling the specifications on the bid request, and the purchasers never even think about trying individual horns before shipment or receipt.

Perhaps it is the responsibility of those of us who read this BBS and are knowledgeable in the relative quality of tubas to "educate the educators" and provide guidance of what would be the most musically satisfying and long-lasting instruments to purchase for their schools.

Follow Ups: