Re: Kalison K2001

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mat on January 08, 2003 at 09:49:11:

In Reply to: Kalison K2001 posted by Charles on January 06, 2003 at 16:24:16:

Mark,

I haven't played on the k2001, but my band director owned his own personal pro 2000. I was in the same shoes as you, I think, trying to decide on a tuba to buy, when I sought professional advice on the matter. The pro 2000 provides an enormous sound, really deep. From what I understand the K2001 is nicer sounding, far superior intonation wise, and sounds absolutely fantastic.
You're going to need some lungs to play it though. That thing sucks the wind out of you, or at least the pro 2000 did. It's not that heavy, but it's thick, and in all respects a 6/4 tuba. The TUBA EXCHANGE say otherwise, but I still can't figure out why that is. Check the Kalison website. I gaurantee you it's a 6/4. But man, if you're playing for a big ensemble, that thing just sustains the whole orchestra, or band. It's also got really nice fat, heavy duty valves, plus a first valve slide adjuster. It has a little ring on the top, and uses a different oil/greese, so you can make small adjustments to the first valve pitch while playing.
It's definately a good buy, and has a good big ensemble sound. If you can control it, it's possible to use it for quintet (i did), but certainly not anything above your high C, or D. From there it sounds thin (for me), and definately not anything that's really challenging technically (disjunct stuff, bouncing all over you're range of ability). It's, generally speacking, a support/sustunation instrument, but like I said man. You need to air that thing. I play a pt-6p with a nice sounding lower register, but there are times when you play (and you know what I'm talking about), where you just want to sound like the biggest, mightiest tuba player in the world, and the Kalison will certainly get you further towards your goals, though for low register stuff, I put in twice as much air as I do for the PT-6P these days, but the sound is certainly worth it, although the upper register on my pt-6p is nicer, it's easier to control, and it projects more, though it doesn't sustain nearly as much.
cheerz,

Follow Ups: