Re: Rudy piston looks like HB-21

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Anthony on January 07, 2003 at 16:21:48:

In Reply to: Rudy piston looks like HB-21 posted by dennis on January 07, 2003 at 14:24:05:

As far as I can tell, the two horns are virtually identical. If you ask me, though(and this is just my personal opinion), the Rudy is a MUCH better horn.. and at half the price.

That said, I didn't like either horn when I played them.. the playing characteristics didn't really work for me. I only played each of them once, though, and not at the same time... I think you should play test a horn on 5 or 6 seperate occaisions before making a judgement on them(for example... I've gone from loving the Conn 5xj, to hating it, and then right back to loving it! I didn't like the King 2341 at all when I played it, but I could have just been having an off-day).

My opinions aren't based just on how they felt/sounded while I was playing the horns, though- I always record my play testing so that I can make an objective judgement on the horn at a later date. While I didn't particularly like playing the Rudy, it sounded absolutely phenomenal. As for the HB21- when I played it, it immediately reminded me of the Rudy(this was a few months later).. the recording, however, revealed nothing particularly notable about the sound.

fwiw

Anthony

Follow Ups: