Re: MW 45-SLP F tuba: opinions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Greg on January 02, 2003 at 20:43:20:

In Reply to: MW 45-SLP F tuba: opinions? posted by mauro on January 02, 2003 at 19:32:55:

I have a 45slp and have used it for several quintet gigs and have also used it for a few community band performances as well as small orchestra. It seemed a little bright for the orchestra (I used it instead of my CC tuba), but when I played in a local municipal band with a second tuba, it had a very powerful sound (especially in the mid and upper register).

As far as solo and quintet playing goes, I wonder if it isn't a little too large. However, it has the sound that I'm looking for in an f tuba so I guess I'll just have to lighten up.

I find that the projection is GREAT! The intonation is good too. I had to experiment with a few mouthpieces but have settled into one and the intonation problems are few and fixable.

This tuba is very free blowing and has a very open low register. It plays like a cc tuba. In fact, physically, it is a pretty huge instrument. It keeps me sitting up straight while I'm playing!

Hope this helps!
Greg Allen

Follow Ups: